13 August 2016

Quest/Titles Project Update

I had mentioned before how the information listed on the EK Alternative Titles page was a bit lackluster, which inspired me to go on an extended project based on a quest given to me by Her Majesty, Queen Avelina.

Well, I made some major progress, but before I get to that, let me take a step back.

Looping into today's earlier post, I have to rely on newer Mongolian vocabulary and grammar than the time period I focus on.  I've come to accept that I don't yet have the research skills, nor the linguistic know-how to get a truly good insight into what I want for my exact person.  And, since this is turning into something which could go to the common good of the Society, having something workable, if not up to my specific persona, is much better than being in perpetual frustration and doubt.

With that being said, I took a look at the resources that are available for Mongol Naming Practices and got my hands on (thanks to a Household member who's a professional librarian) an out-of-print book that focuses specifically on Mongol Grammar.

It's titled Introduction to Classical (Literary) Mongolian (parenthesis theirs),  It is, in a word, a gold mine that I'm super happy I pursued on a gut instinct.

I just got through the read of the title and took, well, copious notes including vocabulary listings, and the grammatical structures for Mongol nouns, adjectives and adverbs.  I know, I'm weird. I like understanding grammar rules.  It's as close to mathy as I think I could ever get.

Anyhow, I started a quick and dirty list of words I think could be helpful, not only for titles themselves but also general use at a Royal level.  In my own notes, I cite the page I found the word so when I submit everything will be properly documented.

Here's the list, unedited and raw (meaning lacking diacritical markings and only Roman letters):
Qagan -- King
Koebgun -- son/boy
Degu - younger brother
Eke - mother
Bars - tiger
Aqa - elder brother
Qatun - Queen
Cerig - soldier
lama - priest/lama
moritu - rider/horseman
noyan - prince/lord
Qan - minor prince, lord (this would be the title I was asked to find, guys.  STOKED)
ulus - people/nation
tusimel - minister/official
arsalan - lion
abagan - master, sire
juljagan - young, offspring
ocuguken - minor/subordinate
degedu - high, elevated
aldartan said -- celebrities, famous poeple
ama|n - family, household
arga - art, craft, plan; trick
ayag-qa - rank of priest; gelung
baga - small, young
bagsi - teacher/scholar
bars, baras - tiger
elci - envoy, embassador
erkim - supreme, chief, outstanding
jarudasu|n - slave, servant, messenger (messenger is the meaning I'm going for)
keukid - children
nokor - comrade, friend, companion (pl. nokod)
Qan kobegun - prince
qaragulci - guard, shepherd
qaragul - sentinel, guard
tusimel - official, minister
quda - brother-in-law, cousin

I think this is a good base to start from.  I do want to find more resources, aside from Wikipedia the open encyclopedia of sometimes ok information, to bolster the list.  But, it's definitely a strong start.

I'm also going to organize my notes in a way which makes presenting the declensions easier to understand for a non-grammatically inclined person.  The grammar becomes important for naming practices with the heralds, as well as any other awards or designations that may be created or given out.

But, that is where I sit right now with the project.  It feels great to have some progress made and something workable I can present to Her Majesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment